Gagan Narang happy with bronze, says age on his side

Published on: Tuesday 29 July 2014 //

Gagan Narang flaunts his medal at the podium in Glasgow. (Source: PTI) Gagan Narang flaunts his silver medal at the podium in Glasgow. (Source: PTI)

Star marksman Gagan Narang failed to enter his name in Commonwealth Games record books by winning just a silver and bronze here but the Olympic bronze medallist on Tuesday said that he was not disappointed with his performance, adding that he will come back with a bang in the next edition of the Games.


Narang, who has won four gold each in the 2006 and 2010 CWG failed to win a single yellow metal this time but he said age is on his side and he will break the record in 2018 in Gold Coast, Australia.


“I am just 31 and I have a long way to go. I have no doubt that I will win my ninth gold and then go past it also,”

Narang told PTI after he won a bronze in men’s 50m rifle 3 positions, an event in which he had won gold in singles as well as in pairs in both the 2006 and 2010 Games.


“In the next edition, there will be both singles and pairs events as well as team events and that will be good for me and Indian shooting. So, there is nothing to disappoint and I am looking forward to the next Games and do better,” he said.


He said he would take the bronze though everyone would love to win gold.


“A medal is a medal and I will take it,” he said.


Asked about the overall performance of the shooters in the Games, Narang said, “It was again a very good performance from the shooters and we performed upto the expectations.


We had come here (Barry Buddon Shooting Centre) a few weeks before the Games to train in these conditions and that helped.


“Personally also, I am happy to have won my 10th medal of the Commonwealth Games on Tuesday. You get matured after every such Games and I am doing just that.”


Rajput said that shooting in windy conditions was tough. “It is difficult to shoot under windy conditions but I am

happy that I won a silver in my first participation in 50m rifle 3 positions in the Commonwealth Games,” said Rajput who

won a bronze in men’s 50m rifle prone singles in 2006 Melbourne Games.


“I was struggling with my results and the wind really affected me. I’ve had a few good results in the World Cup in

the last few years and I beat Gagan in those as well, but it’s always a good fight between us.”


Meanwhile, Manavjit Sandu, who won a bronze in men’s trap event, said conditions were extremely hard to negotiate

during the competition.


“This is my third bronze in a row and I felt that conditions were tough and very challenging. The wind and light kept changing all the time and I had to adapt right throughout the competition,” he said.


Sandhu also appreciated performance of gold medallist Adam Vella from Australia.


“He is a very good competitor, he doesn’t let go and is a good, top shooter,” Sandhu said.


0 comments for "Gagan Narang happy with bronze, says age on his side"

Leave Reply

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Feed!

Technology

RSS Feed!
RSS Feed!
RSS Feed!