I have beaten Mary Kom and that gave me confidence, says Pinki Jangra

Published on: Wednesday 30 July 2014 //

Pinki on Wednesday said thet she is now bothered on being compared to Mary Kom. 9Source: PTI0 Pinki on Wednesday said that she is not bothered on being compared to Olympic Bronze medalist, Mary Kom. (Source: PTI)

Young woman pugilist Pinki Jangra has no qualms about comparisons with M C Mary Kom and says being spoken in the same breath as the Olympic bronze- medallist and five-time world champion rather gives her confidence.


Pinki, who defeated Mary Kom in the CWG selection trials, on Wednesday assured herself of least a bronze medal in her debut Commonwealth Games after reaching the semifinals in the women’s 51kg class.


“I have no issues being compared with Mary Kom. I have beaten a boxing stalwart and that gives me confidence that I

can beat the best in the world,” she said after her bout on Wednesday.


“But ultimately, it is your performance that counts. So after all the comparison I have to perform and concentrate on the opponent I have to fight.”


The 24-year-old Hisar girl said the Glasgow medal will be her 10-year career’s best performance.


“Surely, this medal will be my best in my 10-year career.


The semifinal and the final will be tough but I am prepared to face the best in the world. I will give my best,” she said.


“Today(on Wednesday), I was confident that I would win. You cannot take any opponent lightly but from the start I was confident that I would win.”


The road ahead in the competition could be tough for Pinki but the youngster said she would want to win gold.


“I am very happy to win a medal and now I look to win gold. My family and coaches have given me a lot of confidence for this. I hope I can become well-known in India after the Games and help promote women’s boxing,” Pinki said.


On the inclusion of boxing in the CWG, she said, “It’s great that women’s boxing is in the Commonwealth Games now and I am very happy to be competing here.


This has been a 10-year journey for me since I started boxing and this is the biggest competition of my career.”


0 comments for "I have beaten Mary Kom and that gave me confidence, says Pinki Jangra"

Leave Reply

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Feed!

Technology

RSS Feed!
RSS Feed!
RSS Feed!